Thursday, August 28, 2014
The search for a new apartment can be overwhelming. Houzz.com helps you find the perfect space with their apartment hunting tips.
Narrow your search to one or two favorite neighborhoods so you reduce the number of communities you look at. Think about things like cute stores and nightlife but don't forget requirements like your budget and proximity to work or public transportation. If you're new to the city, walk around different neighborhoods to get a feel for them.
Decide on the three things that you absolutely cannot live without. Budget needs to be one of your top three, of course, but the other two could be anything from how close they are to work or to school to apartment amenities like a pool. If you aren't sure what your must-haves are, try making a list of all your desires and marking things off until you've narrowed it down to the top needs.
Take notes on the apartments you visit and even take pictures so you can refresh your memory. Also, before you begin apartment hunting, make sure you're prepared to fill out an application and pay a deposit so if you find the perfect place it doesn't get snatched up. You might even consider printing out your credit report to show the landlord you are a great renter.
Ask the landlord what your extra costs beyond rent will be. Do the window treatments come with the apartment? What utilities are you responsible for? Are there extra charges to use complex amenities or for parking? Are cable hook-ups already in place where they will work for you, or will you need to pay to have a new cable put in?
Pay attention to smells and noises when you tour an apartment. Also pay attention to what kind of light the apartment gets. A dark, smelly apartment could certainly make life pretty unpleasant.
Go ahead and play detective: open closets, turn on the water in the shower and bathroom and kitchen faucets, and flush the toilet. Investigate under the sinks to make sure there isn't mold, leaks or bugs, and if there are, talk to the potential landlord about their plans to fix any problems.
If you think you are going to stay for a while, try to negotiate with the landlord. They probably won't give you a break on rent, but they may give you a longer lease so you can pay the same rent for longer, make improvements before you move in, or allow you to paint and make your own improvements.
Come armed with the measurements of any really large or important furniture you own. Bring a tape measure when you check out an apartment and get the dimensions of doorways to make sure your pieces will fit in the space. If they won't, and it's something you don't want to part with, it's best to find it out before moving day.
Finally, get EVERYTHING in writing. Anything you and the landlord agree on should be written down and signed by both parties.
Intimidated by the thought of meeting your neighbors? Don't be! With Apartment Therapy's Tips, you'll be building a sense of community and making new friends in no time!
The first bit of advice might seem obvious, but it's simply, "talk to people." If you see your neighbor in the hallway, say hi and introduce yourself. If another neighbor has their hands full with groceries, offer to help. Look for ways to talk to people that seem natural, not forced.
Frequent common spaces, like an apartment building courtyard or swimming pool. You may wind up striking up a conversation with a neighbor and may even get invited to do something like head over to the pool table in your complex's clubhouse and play a game! If you don't leave your apartment, you'll never meet anyone, so try to get to know your complex's amenities so you'll hopefully get to know your neighbors.
If there are any festivals or block parties in your area, be sure to go to them. Sure it can feel a little weird to go by yourself, but you will most likely be rewarded by meeting a few new friends and having a good time.
Join Meetup.com to try and find people in your area with common interests that are having meetups. This is a great way to find people you have things in common with and often these events are organized by neighborhood.
Finally, join your local cultural institutions, like art museums, the symphony, theatre, etc. Many of these have events, which is a great way to make new friends who also like to support the arts.
If all else fails, knock on your neighbor's door and introduce yourself. Sure, it may feel a little awkward, but how can you meet anyone if you don't take a little bit of a risk?
Friday, August 22, 2014
This is the fifteenth in a series of articles titled ‘Minimum Commute, Maximum Lifestyle’ and will be focused on Applied Materials, Inc.(NASDAQ:AMAT). This series focuses on area employers and rental options located nearby so employees can reduce their commutes to work.
Thousands of people move to Austin or relocate within Austin every year because of job changes. In a city growing by 110 people per day, the complaint we hear most often centers around traffic. The majority of the renters we see are hoping to find an apartment that fits their lifestyle and allows for a reasonable commute to their place of work. With that in mind, we wanted to give some insight into Austin’s largest employers and the rental options that surround them.
Applied Materials, Inc. provides cutting-edge equipment, services, and software to enable the manufacture of advanced semiconductor, flat panel display, and solar photovoltaic products. Applied Materials was founded in 1967 and is headquartered in Santa Clara, California. The Wall Street Journal reports that Applied Materials saw a 79% increase in their 3rd quarter profit due to high demand for computer chips and the equipment used in the manufacture of computer chips.
Applied Materials employs people in a variety of positions at their Austin offices, including Sourcing Finance Managers (Median Annual Salary $161,315 for a Finance Director), Manufacturing Engineers II (Median Salary $67,905), Materials Project Managers III (Median Salary $91,903), Payroll Managers (Median Salary $75,892) and more. All salary information from Salary.com for 78717, Applied Materials' zip code.
There are lots of nearby restaurants to choose from for employees to eat at for lunch including Panera Bread, a national chain that serves sandwiches on freshly baked bread, soups, and salads. Another lunch choice closet to Applied Materials is Mama Fu’s Asian House, cooks a variety of Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Korean and Vietnamese dishes.
For drinks after work with fellow employees, the Texican Cafe is located near Lakeline Mall and has happy hour 3pm-7pm Monday through Friday with $6 Margaritas, $.75 off draft beers, $1 off Tequila Shots and $2 off Select Appetizers. Pluckers Wing Bar is also close to Applied Materials and are famous for their wings, beers and are a great place to watch a sports game.
Spend your time at home rather than in traffic by choosing one of the gorgeous apartment communities close to Applied Materials.
- Platinum Lakeline is just 5 minutes from Applied Materials. Built in 2009, apartments range from 1-3 bedrooms and 675 to 1,717 square feet. This gated community has a resort-style pool and fountain, clouhouse with billiards, full service business center, and a fitness facility. Apartments feature faux hardwood floors, spacious closets with built-in shelving, patios and balconies, nine foot ceilings, and door-to-door trash pick-up.
- The Mansions at Lakeline Mall are just 8 minutes away and are brand new. Floorplans range from 750 to 1,910 square feet and one to four bedrooms. The townhome style units feature tall, expansive windows, granite counters in the kitchen and bathrooms, cellulose sound insulation, and individual first-floor formal entrances with covered porch and foyer. This gated community has a 24-hour fitness facility with cardio theater, exterior arbor and summer kitchen, splash park, playground and children's activity area, and concierge services.
- 95 Twenty Apartments were built in 2013 and are just one minute from Applied Materials. Apartments range from one to three bedrooms and 657 to 1,315 square feet and feature wood, vinyl or stained concrete floors, plush carpeted bedrooms, large walk-in closets, spa inspired baths with garden tubs, full size washer and dryers, granite counters, and stainless steel appliances. The community features available garage and covered parking, easy access to shopping, entertainment, and dining, a pet park, a gaming lounge with billiards, a sunning deck, a beach-entry pool, and a coffee/espresso bar.
- The Marquis Brushy Creek Apartments are a 6 minute drive away and feature 1-3 bedroom homes ranging from 693 to over 1,132 square feet. Apartments feature open floor plans, gourmet kitchens with European style cabinetry, designer countertops and kitchen islands, nine foot ceilings with crown molding, ceiling fans, designer lighting, and spacious private patios or porches. This gated community has a leash-free dog park, resort pool with multi-tiered lagoon pool, clubhouse with a full service business center, coffee bar, and pool tables, and a high end fitness center with aerobic and strength equipment.
- The Remington Apartments are just 8 minutes from Applied Materials and were built in 2007. 1-3 bedroom apartments are available, ranging from 733 to 1,645 square feet. Units feature full size washer and dryers, ceramic tile entryways, wood-like plank floors, walk-in closets, exterior storage, patios and balconies. This gated community has complimentary DVD rentals, a Starbucks Coffee Bar, picnic/grilling stations, a luxurious swimming pool with a cabana, and short-term leases are available.
These are just a few of the rental options for Applied Materials employees. Our database features the most accurate and up-to-date pricing and availability for thousands of apartments across the city. Finding the perfect balance of minimal commute and maximum lifestyle for your budget can be challenging. As apartment locators, it is our job to provide you valuable insight into each of your rental options so you choose the best apartment the first time. Our service is free to our clients and can save you valuable days looking for a rental. Call 512-258-8224 today to schedule your appointment or visit www.austinapartmentsnow.com for more information on our apartment locator services.
Wednesday, August 20, 2014
San Antonio is number 20 on Forbes' annual top 20 fastest-growing American cities with 1.83 percent population growth for 2013 and that translates into increased traffic, which is the number one complaint we hear. The majority of the renters we see are hoping to find an apartment that fits their lifestyle and allows for a reasonable commute to their place of work. With that in mind, we wanted to give some insight into San Antonio's largest employers and the rental options that surround them. This is the fourteenth in a series called ‘Minimum Commute, Maximum Lifestyle’ and it focuses on Southwest Research Institute.
Southwest Research Institute has its headquarters in San Antonio and has been a nonprofit, independent, applied research and development organization since its founding in 1947. The San Antonio Business Journal reports that Southwest Research Institute has opened a new 11,224 square foot facility at its San Antonio campus to make and test large components for its oil and gas, aerospace, marine and industrial clients.
Southwest Research Institute employs nearly 3,000 workers in a variety of positions including including Research Engineers, (Median Annual Salary $86,265 for a Research and Development Engineer), QA Engineers (Median Salary $55,086 for a QA Engineer I), Research Analysts (Median Salary $43,258 for a R&D Associate I), and more. All Salary information from www.Salary.com for 78238, Southwest Research Institute's zip code.
For lunch with coworkers, there are many nearby options including Lupita’s Mexican Restaurant, which is popular for its Carne Guisada. Bill Miller BBQ is another choice for a quick lunch of brisket and sides like potato salad and pinto beans.
There are also several bars and restaurants close to Southwest Research for after work drinks including Malibu Shack, which has a different happy hour special every day of the week from 5pm to close. 54th Street Bar and Grill is another place where you can get both food and drink after a long day of research.
Forgo a long commute and live in one of the great apartment communities near Southwest Research Institute.
- Parc 410 Apartments are a quick 9 minute drive away and feature 1 and 2 bedroom apartments ranging from 480 to 930 square feet. Apartments feature tile floors, walk-in closets, patios or balconies, and ceiling fans. Built in 1978, this gated community has two swimming pools, tennis and basketball courts, is close to major freeways, and is on the bus line.
- Alta Roxbury Apartments are an easy 7 minute drive from Southwest Research and were built in 2009. 1-3 bedroom apartment homes ranging from 637 to 1,418 are available, featuring plank wood flooring, granite counters, washer and dryers, nine-foot ceilings with crown molding and relaxing garden tubs. The community has a resort style pool, an outdoor cabana with television, an enclosed dog park, a fitness center and attached children's activity area, and a self service car wash.
- Granite at Tuscany Hills is 6 minutes away and features 1 and 2 bedroom apartment homes from 600 to 988 square feet. Built in 1984, this gated community features easy access to public transportation, a clubroom with billiards and lounge, heavily treed grounds, basketball and tennis courts, two pools, and pet stations. Apartments have kitchen pantries, granite-inspired counters, hardwood inspired floorings, double sinks, and more.
- Westover Oaks was built in 2012 and is is five minutes away. Apartments range from 629 to 1,365 square feet and one to three bedrooms. Units feature stainless steel appliances, granite counters, wood-grain flooring, crown molding, and garden tubs. This gated community has a gourmet coffee bar, techno gaming area, bicycle racks with loaner bikes, dog parks and pet care stations.
- Willow Creek Apartments are 6 minutes from Southwest Research and you never even have to get on the freeway. Built in 1997, the complex has a dog park, coffee bar, resident lounge, spa and hot tub, fitness center, outdoor pavillion with barbecue grills and a swimming pool. 1-2 bedroom apartments ranging from 546 to 1,135 square feet feature washer dryer hookups, alarm systems, private patios or balconies, and many are recently remodeled with new cabinetry, stainless or black appliances, wood-style flooring on the first floor and more.
These are just a few of the rental options for Southwest Research Institute employees. Our database features the most accurate and up-to-date pricing and availability for thousands of apartments across the city. Finding the perfect balance of minimal commute and maximum lifestyle for your budget can be challenging. As apartment locators, it is our job to provide you valuable insight into each of your rental options so you choose the best apartment the first time. Our service is free to our clients and can save you valuable days looking for a rental. Call 210-558-7377 today to schedule your appointment or visit www.sanantonioapartmentsnow.com for more information on our apartment locator services.
Thursday, August 14, 2014
Making a dark apartment seem brighter is a must if your space doesn't get as much light as you'd like it. With Apartment Therapy's tips, you'll be seeing the light in no time!
Replacing heavy thick curtains with sheers can go a long way towards letting light in, as will replacing lightbulbs with daylight bulbs. Other ways are to decorate with items that give out and reflect light, like mirrors, glass and metal. You can also make a window look bigger by using floor-length curtains on either side. A room will feel more spacious and light filled if you use less furniture and make sure it's low to the ground and on a smaller scale.
You'll get a better quality of light by decorating with a variety of lamps rather than a single overhead light. Diversify the levels of light in different parts of the room by varying the brightness in different areas. Use different types of lights at different levels (on the ground, on tables, and hanging from the ceiling.) Painting your walls white (be sure to ask your landlord first), will go a long way towards taking advantage of any light in your apartment. As far as what you hang on your walls, stick with light artwork, and on the floor, use rugs in light colors as well.
Friday, August 8, 2014
This is the thirteenth in a series of articles titled ‘Minimum Commute, Maximum Lifestyle’ and will be focused on Rackspace Hosting, Inc.(NYSE:RAX). This series focuses on area employers and rental options located nearby so employees can reduce their commutes to work.
San Antonio is number 20 on Forbes' annual top 20 fastest-growing American cities with 1.83 percent population growth for 2013 and that translates into increased traffic, which is the number one complaint we hear. The majority of the renters we see are hoping to find an apartment that fits their lifestyle and allows for a reasonable commute to their place of work. With that in mind, we wanted to give some insight into San Antonio's largest employers and the rental options that surround them.
Rackspace, Inc. provides internet hosting services and its headquarters are in San Antonio, Texas. Launched in 1998, Rackspace prides itself on its "Fanatical Support". Rackspace is shifting gears from Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and will instead offer customers "managed cloud" services, reports Network World.
Rackspace employs 3,300 people in a variety of positions including Public Relations Managers (Median Annual Salary $82,128), Marketing Programs Managers (Median Salary $80,638 for a Marketing Manager), Network Engineers (Median Salary $57,269 for a Software Engineer I), Senior Product Managers (Median Salary $86,643 for a Product/Brand Manager) and many more. Salary information from Salary.com for 78218, Rackspace's zip code.
For lunch with coworkers, there are many options nearby including Thai Chalurn, which has a variety of delicious Thai food in a friendly atmosphere. Big Easy Cafe has authentic Cajun food that will transport you to New Orleans just a five minute walk from Rackspace.
For after work drinks, Firehouse Pub and Grill has specials every day of the week for their extended happy hour which is 4pm to close. Applebee’s is also nearby, a chain which serves American food and drinks.
Avoid the commute and live in one of the apartments close to Rackspace.
- Cenzio Flats are just ten minutes from Rackspace and were built in 2000. Floorplans range from one to 3 bedrooms and 690 to 1,390 square feet and feature plush carpet, available attached or detached garages, oval garden tubs, and wood-like entry flooring. This gated community has a fitness center, a clubhouse, gas barbecue grills, and is conveniently located inside the loop.
- Legacy Heights Apartments are just 10 minutes from Rackspace and were constructed in 2008. 1-3 bedrooms are available ranging in size from 561 to $1,309 square feet. Units feature 9 foot ceilings with crown molding, washer/dryers included, kitchen pantries, garden tubs, large closets, and patios or balconies. This gated community has a clubhouse with a game room, billiards and fitness center, attached garages, resort style swimming pool, and a playground.
- Oakhampton Place Apartments are ten minutes away. Built in 1983, 1 and 2 bedroom apartments are available ranging in size from 720 to 1,120 square feet. Apartments have marble vanities, private patios or balconies, walk-in closets with built-in shelves, and washer and dryer connections in most units. This gated community has a DVD Library, a business center, 3 swimming pools, and a guest suite available for rental.
- Sunset Ridge Apartments are 12 minutes away and were built in 1948 and remodeled in 2005. 1-2 bedroom apartments ranging from 771 to 1,024 square feet are available. Apartments feature original long leaf pine floors and other period details, as well as updated kitchens and large bedrooms and closets. The community has a lap pool, wading pool, dog park, reserved carports, and a barbecue area.
- The Villas at Oakwell Farms Apartments are 11 minutes from Rackspace and feature 1-2 bedroom apartment homes ranging in size from 753 to 1,222 square feet. Built in 1995, this gated community has storage space, a business center, sand and water volleyball, a spa, and indoor racquetball and basketball courts. Apartments have plank flooring, ceiling fans, and short term leases are available.
These are just a few of the rental options for Rackspace employees. Our database features the most accurate and up-to-date pricing and availability for thousands of apartments across the city. Finding the perfect balance of minimal commute and maximum lifestyle for your budget can be challenging. As apartment locators, it is our job to provide you valuable insight into each of your rental options so you choose the best apartment the first time. Our service is free to our clients and can save you valuable days looking for a rental. Call 210-558-7377 today to schedule your appointment or visit www.sanantonioapartmentsnow.com for more information on our apartment locator services.
Wednesday, August 6, 2014
Getting a good night's sleep is important, but sometimes it can be difficult to let go of what's happened during the day and relax enough to fall asleep. Apartment Therapy's helpful tips will have you sawing logs in no time!
First off, let the events of the day melt away and force yourself to push today's worries and tomorrow's happenings out of your mind. You need to relax so you'll be able to deal with whatever comes your way in the morning. All those worries and to-do's will still be waiting for you tomorrow, so push them out of your head and take a break at night.
Don't do anything that engages your mind too much before bed. You want to relax and allow yourself to get sleepy. Along with this, don't do anything that causes stress, thereby increasing your cortisol levels, before bed. No arguing, worrying, or conversations that will get you worked up. Meditating for ten minutes can really help you keep the peace.
Cut out any food for at least four hours before you turn in. This will get your body ready to focus on restoring itself at night rather than digestion. Also, don't bring anything into your bedroom in the electronic realm: tvs, computers, iPads and phones are all off-limits. The bedroom in your apartment is a place for sleep and romance, and needs to be kept that way.